Wordpress (Book Blog) mybookstacks.wordpress.com Twitter @fennyusuf Facebook Fenny Herawati Yusuf

I'm a girl who reads and have too many books. You’ll know that I do because I will always have an unread book in my bag and my shelves. A girl who spends her money on books instead of clothes. A girl who has a list of books she wants to read.

If you have any question about books and authors, please feel free to contact me at fennyherawatiyusuf[at]yahoo[dot]com. I will reply your email soon.

Monday, November 18, 2013

[Book Review] Grave Sight

Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris

3,83/5 (39,157 rating)

Publisher: Literati
Release Date: (first published October 4th 2005)
Format: Paperback, 410 pages
Genre: Supernatural, Urban Fantasy

Harper Connelly has what you might call a strange job: she finds dead people. She can sense the final location of a person who's passed, and share their very last moment. The way Harper sees it, she's providing a service to the dead while bringing some closure to the living - but she's used to most people treating her like a blood-sucking leech. Traveling with her step-brother Tolliver as manager and sometime-bodyguard, she's become an expert at getting in, getting paid, and getting out fast. Because for the living it's always urgent - even if the dead can wait forever.


I think I dont have chemistry on this book. I enjoyed the story because it was easy to read, but I didn’t really get into the story. There’s no favorite character, or favorite scene. I like the idea of a woman (not a girl! I guess that Harper is more than twenty-one years old) who can find dead body, but it’s just it. Harper bukan tipe karakter yang menonjol keistimewaan ataupun kesederhanaannya, dan selain dia punya kemampuan supernatural dan punya ketergantungan dengan kakaknya, tidak ada yang membuat saya terkesan sama Harper. Maybe it’s because Charlaine didn’t explore the character very well. The story is more focussed on the plot, not the feeling of the situations and the characters.

It’s comfortable to keep in touch what’s happening on the story, Harper goes with her brother to Sarne, finds a dead body, gets another request in Sarne to find a girl’s body, finds that there are some murders, being accused, and threatended, and so on. But as a reader, we expect more than just an idea and a plot of the story, right? It would be better if after reading this story, the characters, the settings, or the situations in some scenes are still stucked in my mind for a while, just like when I’m impressed about somehing.

In brief, what’s my favorite part in this story? None. Did I enjoy reading it? Yes. How about the translation? Good, and I didn’t find any typhographical error. The fonts and spaces are good, too, easy to read. I don’t like either the cover or the title in Indonesia. I think “Grave Sight” is the best title because it represents the whole story perfectly better than “Aku Melihat Arwah!”. Harper bukan cuma bisa melihat arwah, tapi dia lebih ke bisa merasakan tempat mayat berada, a grave, dan bisa melihat penyebab kematian orang itu ketika dia dekat dengan tempat mayat tersebut berada. See why Charlaine gave this book a title “Grave Sight”?





3 stars - This book was OK, read it if it sounds good to you




No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any questions and comments about this post, please leave here. Will reply soon.